Sir Thrift-A-Lot ♥


Saturday, September 21, 2013

Thriftasaurus

Thriftasaurus


A few finds this week. I have been sick for over a week. I abhor it. I very rarely get a cold/flu, I can't remember the last time it's happened, but I've been sick since last Thursday. I'm still rockin' on, working, a bit of shopping & social. My thrifting date flip flopped - she took a shift at work, she's flat broke. I don't blame her, but I did make fun of her for flip flopping. It's rescheduled for a day this upcoming week. 
 
My favourite find were these cards, the insides are NSFW (even some covers I had to cover). These are from the late 1980's & ones you'd only find at an adult shop. The taller ones below, that look like some 1960's or whatever just plain vintage cards, oh no, they're more than that. You can ask the old women on the subway who saw the huge vibrator on the inside of the card when I opened it. 




Colourful Dansk Gourmet containers. 


I'm digging this flip calender (do they have a proper name?). My grandfather used to have one that I believe they got on their honeymoon to Niagara Falls (or one of their anniversaries) & he would flip it every morning when my grandmother made us toast & jam on Melmac plates (blue for me, pink for sister).
(shoulda put today's date in the first photo...)


Nice retro towel. 


Santa. I think he's been there a while. Might have been empty hand syndrome, but I guess he'll still look good on Christmas. 


I bought these coasters not to use as coasters, but to use as leg warmers on my dog (if they'll fit). The cards are cute enough. At this particular store they put a lot of stuff in them grab bags & some bitch (sorry...) always rips open all the bags & not just a tiny bit to see the cards inside, but a lot, so all the stuff falls out when you move the bags in front. It's extremely annoying & it's possible the cashier may refuse the sale so STOP IT



My lone piece of Pyrex (pictured here with it's sister that I already own) this week - the Compass Promotional Snack Server (without handle). I feel like I've basically given up on "the great Pyrex hunt" here in the city, even though it's the first stop still in the thrifts, but it's just not there for me anymore in the quality/quantity it once was... even the antique markets are bust. I have a rant coming soon... 


Thanks for linking up last week, can't wait to see what everybody turned up this week. 





21 comments:

  1. Hope its ok to have a find that I painted. I keep looking for those blue striped grain sacks but with no luck. You got some strange as well as neat finds this week. Nice pyrex find.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the well wishes, my immune system is usual so fantastic when it comes to fighting colds, dunno what's up!

      Always enjoy your finds & makeovers.

      Delete
  2. ps forgot to say I hope you feel much better soon. Its tough having to carry on when you have the flu.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you feel better soon! (I was in the same boat a couple of weeks ago). I have a couple of that same Santa- I think they're perfectly kitschy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that Santa! It's actually one that I DONT have! I had him years and years ago before I started really collecting, and I remember giving him to Goodwill. What was I thinking??? Sooo funny about the legwarmers for your dog! I might have to do that!
    And hope you feel better real soon.
    Erica :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwe, well here's to finding one this vintage Christmas thrift season! I seen once in estate sale photos this past week, which is funny since I've never seen one before. Never went to the sale.

      You totally should if you find the coasters - it's gonna be cute, look like 1980's workout dog.

      Delete
  5. Love those yellow canisters. Also am inclined to agree about Pyrex. I asked my favourite flea market vendor why they had no Pyrex recently, and he said it's gotten too hard to get good stuff unless you haunt the thrifts or luck out at an estate sale. So he's moved on -- to canisters, salvaged materials, etc.. Guess it's cyclical. P.S. Best wishes for feeling better -- and not getting sick again soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kinda bites, & jealous of some of our American finds, but I guess that's the price you pay for living in such a competitive city. I also don't get to thrift at prime times, workin' hard for my money.

      Delete
  6. I hope you feel better soon.Being sick sucks.
    I love your finds-except the creepy Santa.He looks homicidal.
    I feel your rage-that bitch's sister must live near me so she can open all these bags too.The.stuff.is.in.clear.bags!!Stop.opening.every.freakin'.one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Do you think they customize the bags? It drives me up the wall.

      Homicidal Santas are the best in my opinion. :)

      Delete
  7. That Santa looks insane! Great yellow canisters.
    I still see a lot of Pyrex in the thrifts in my town, but I'm not a collector, so I have no idea if the ones I am seeing are the ones people want. They do tend to be on the pricey side...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need to be text friends, Tilda! Text me when you find a piece, lol.

      Delete
  8. I love the "empty hand syndrome" I think we all suffer from it! Fantastic plastic finds, I like the Dansk, the flip clock and of course the leg warmers. Thank you for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Get well soon. Good finds, weird santa figure. Take care of yourself.
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love all the vintage cards you unearth, I rarely find them around these parts. All excellent finds :D I didn't thrift much this week either, playing lots of catch-up on listing everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Leg warmers for your dog? I. AM. DYING!!!

    ~Erica

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love those Holly Hobby-ish ones. Adorable! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute Holly Hobbie cards! And that same b$$$$ that rips open the bags at your store must frequent my thrift shop, too. Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sorry that you aren't feeling well. Being sick is such an annoying way to spend time. I hope it's gone soon!
    I really like the perpetual calendar you found. I have one that is shaped like a globe and I love it, though I can't for the life of me remember to change the day.
    And I giggled pretty good at the thought of ladies watching you check out your haul on the subway and getting a little more than they expected! That's hilarious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love that calendar!!

    I think I may have bought the same Santa on my trip - I haven't unpacked everything yet!

    Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete