Sir Thrift-A-Lot ♥


Saturday, November 9, 2013

Thriftasaurus!

Thriftasaurus!


Wouldn't you know, this is the second week my finds were little to none at the thrifts? Bizarre! Besides the larger Santa below, I had no thrift finds to share this week. I did buy a couple things to resell to buy a couple things off eBay (a 2 foot aluminum Christmas tree for the bedroom which includes a 1959 pamphlet "How to Decorate Your Aluminum Tree" released by the Aluminum Corporation of America, a turquoise & red refrigerator dish, vintage Christmas Better Home & Gardens magazines). Luckily, I'm still unpacking from Ohio (aren't I terrible?). I've decided to leave some in the box for next week due to the way the thrifts are being!


The Santa is by Regal Canada & may have been left behind by everybody due to the ill repair to his hat many years ago, but whatever, he'll be good with his fellows in my Christmas collection! 

These have to be my two favourite finds from Ohio - a 442 Orange Butterprint (which I already have, I had gotten a 444 & 442 off Kijiji last year for $10. This 442 was $10) & the Kamar winking devil knee hugger. This is a guy I've wanted since I've discovered him. I basically paid a price comparable to eBay prices, minus shipping, but it was worth it to me. I'll have him until I die or desperately need money. Another thing on my list checked off! Second picture is of two other kneehuggers I picked up in Ohio, left out the angel kneehugger I posted about last week. 




Christmas Pyrex! Golden Leaf promotional complete with cradle & lid. This was in a huge, 50,000 SQ FT market & I was disappointed as hell when I got to the last row & they had not on piece of Pyrex I had considered buying. At the absolute last booth sat this on the shelf - was so excited! 


2 of the 5 Jadeite bowls I had ordered off eBay, these two were part of a 4 lot which worked out to around $5 each or something like that. The one with the rim has a 33 on the bottom, not sure if that means anything or not. Not too familiar with Jadeite because I never see it. & a set of spaceship salt & pepper shakers. The seller f'd me. They taped them closed & they don't close AT ALL. What an asshole. Live & learn. 



That's it for me this week! 

but..
a question for US eBay/Etsy & other online sellers:
I will be selling some items - mostly t-shirts, flat bed sheets, greeting cards listing next week. They will be shipped out to US winners from Ohio so they can be tracked (will state in my listing), save buyers shipping costs & hopefully increase my profits. Could you offer some insight on how much I should generally charge to ship these items? How much does it usually cost? or should I just use a buy it now & incorporate the price & offer free shipping? or start the auction a little higher & offer free shipping?

link up to: 
We Call It Olde

Hope you all have some wonderful finds, too. Please join in Thriftasaurus this week by linking up below to share your finds. Thrift on!






30 comments:

  1. So jealous of your Christmas Pyrex and I love all your other finds. The knee hugger is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your green (fire king?). My fav. Thanks for hosting, Have a good week of sales.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. that christmas pyrex is so pretty, i haven't seen one in person before. i'm also dying for one of the devil knee huggers! another thing i've never seen in person, just on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So now I have to add a devil kneehugger to my thrift list! He is amazing and definitely worth whatever you paid for him. Christmas Pyrex is always a good find. Hanna found a piece yesterday that I'm sure she will share with everyone soon. I need to go back and check out my blog posts from last year because I am not sure if I have it or not so I may end up with it!

    I sell a lot on eBay and normally charge $3.95 to ship t-shirts via First Class. This is the price that I use whenever I ship anything 13 ounces and under so it should be good for greeting cards and sheets too if they don't weigh too much. Sister & I are major eBay sellers so if you need more advice, just ask :-).

    ~Erica

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love any and all knee huggers and pixies, I want the devil too!!!!!

    You were lucky to get the stand for the bowl - I have just the bowl too but I'm just glad to have any Christmas Pyrex at all!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Knee huggers? I've never heard of these, and they're so cute. Where have I been?
    I'll be on the lookout now. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the devil kneehugger! And I am intrigued by the pamphlet. One of my desires has been to find an aluminum tree---pretty much impossible in the thrifts, but I have hope!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the knee huggers. regarding your ebay listings, for the greeting cards i would only charge $2 for shipping because they should weigh less than 3 ounces. T shirts can also ship first class for around $3 The sheets might be too heavy to ship first class but they could go in a PFRE for $5 and some change.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh I forgot to add I just opened my etsy shop two weeks ago. Havent sold anything yet. I really need to calculate international shipping and open my shop up to that

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always ship priority shipping (tracking and insurance included) but if the item is light I use my own box as it is cheaper. I usually weight the item, calculate the weight of the box and packing material and calculate shipping here: http://postcalc.usps.com to a far destination zip code
    I sell mostly on Etsy, so I never offer free shipping.
    Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  11. What great finds! I would've bought everything you did!

    I sell a lot on ebay - just weigh the item with what you would ship it in and use the "calculate shipping" feature.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very envious of the Christmas Pyrex. I can't help you with the eBay thing, don't know. Have a good week.-Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't imagine a 50,000 sq feet market. Ireland needs to get serious about markets. That's impressive!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I did not know they had devil knee huggers! How do I not know that! Glad you bought some stuff in Ohio. I may be back tonight to link up if I ever get off the computer and take some photos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that devil kneehugger. I ship mostly priority too. It's the easiest. If you are shipping from ebay they have a shipping calculator, just make sure you use your Ohio zip. You can also play around on the USPS website if you want to get some idea of what items will cost to ship. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooh, totally jealous over that Christmas Pyrex!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I take the middle road and offer reduced shipping. For t-shirts I'd probably do mmmm 2,00 and use first class shipping to send them. I never make a ton off t-shirts so I don't care if they got lost (insurance). I haven't lost anything yet!
    For sheets depends if you can get it in a flat rate padded envelope, then shipping would be $3.00.
    I always price my items with shipping included in the price with a best offer. Because it really is a mind game and the buyer knows what your doing. I rely on best offer and most buyers only want the price of shipping taken out which I do since I intentionally pad my price. I don't do as well with free shipping. I think the customer feels like it will either take forever to get to them or they feel like the price is inflated because its free shipping. Like I said its all a mind game! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that Christmas Pyrex! Never saw anything like it before. Never knew there were devil knee huggers. Great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Shipping cost is tricky. Especially since you don't know where an item will be sent, pricing is based on weight and where an item is being shipped. Generally a lighter 1st class item (under 13 oz) starts off at $2.07 and goes up to about ($4.50), which should apply to your t-shirts and greeting cards (if you selling the cards in packs). The bed sheets I'd suggest shipping in a flat rate padded Priority Envelope (usually you have to order these online via USPS.com, but get shipped relatively fast). The flat rate for these are $5.90, which more likely will be less than non Priority if your item is over 13 oz. Hope this helps. Oh, and I would have the shipping cost stated separately especially if you're listing it as an auction. Ebay selling could go high and sadly low, therefore it your item sells at a low price all your profit could be gone with the free shipping you're gonna eat.

    ReplyDelete
  20. As usual I'm jealous of your Pyrex finds and the kneehuggers how cute.
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  21. One more item checked off your list-good for you!!! That thing is awesome! He's a year round decoration for sure.
    And balls to that seller who taped the s&p's shut. That shady as hell.
    Strange that the thrifts are being so stingy. Usually this time of year is pretty good. At least around here it is. I hope they shape up for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are great finds. I will pay more for an item if it has been on my want list for along time and I do not see them regularly, or if it is for a "cause" I believe in.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Whoa - redesign, thought I was lost for a minute ;) Looks great! Thanks for sharing this at the We Call It Olde Link-Up! Hope to see you there again. Take care - Dawn @ We Call It Junkin.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nevermind the "redesign" comment, your blog looked all different when I first pulled it up, no pink sidebars, now they're their, all looks normal. Maybe I'm still half asleep

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the Christmas scores! Absolutely beautiful kitschy fun.

    ReplyDelete
  26. These are all great finds! I still need the 441 & 442 orange Butterprint. I can't believe you've found TWO! The devil elf is too funny.

    Cheers,
    Heather @ Lark & Lola
    www.larkandlola.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. oh wow! those knee huggers are just divine! I have never seen a devil one before- love his cheeky face!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sheets are kind of heavy so if you can fit them in a Priority Mail padded flat rate envelope that would be best for you. Its 5.95 to ship but with my eBay good seller discount I only pay $5.35 each. I always have the buyer pay for shipping.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Loving the Jadeite Chili Bowls... and yes, you just never see it around anymore... I think Martha Stewart must have cornered the market before it Trended. *winks*

    Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete