Sir Thrift-A-Lot ♥


Saturday, March 16, 2013

Thriftasaurus

Thriftasaurus

Goodwill Auction: Today I took the time to visit my local Goodwill's auction - they had on the auction block a set of Jadeite mugs with saucers & the smallest swirl bowl. They also had 2 lots of Anchor Hocking // Fire King (or "Tire King" as the auctioneer declared it!) mugs. I was psyched! I passed them by & they looked like they were in ACE condition, so I didn't bother handling them outside the display case, even though it was the viewing period earlier in the week. I arrived at the auction during viewing period, but declined to view them again. I got a spot right in front of the Jadeite & first lot of mugs so not one of the 3 behind the counter would miss a bid from me. I was nervous all week my thrifting nemesis would be there - she wasn't. The Jadeite came. It was the hit of the auction. Starting at $14, it hit $40, $60, the lady who I can't stand who lives in the co-op across the street from me's cap $100 (out she stormed.. probably later to return for the jewelry, like always) & then it settled at $150 with another Goodwill Rat. I never got a bid in - oh well. My biggest interest was the mugs, I could get them at least in the same price range & without the white markings I noticed once placed on the counter & the chips in the saucers. What else could have been wrong with them as I was at least 6 feet away. When the first set of "Tire King" mugs were placed on the counter, to my disappointment, most had fading & paint removed. I had to squint, but I was sure of it. I was pissed! I've passed up nicer mugs on thrift store shelves. Starting at $10, the stalled, so I pid $12 anyways, maybe the 2 left in the case were nice. Whatever. I didn't stick around for the last lot. I would have been there for another hour. I hate being disappointed!
* this is the first time Goodwill has had something worth going to the auction in over a year & a half. i`m either hard to please, or it`s mostly crap. *

Thriftasaurus. If you got through that, here are my finds for the weak! Not posting pics of the Pyrex by itself because we all know what that looks like! The Butterfly Gold bowl, not really my thing, but in pristine condition & the pattern I don't come across that often. I'm trying to phase out all the other bowls in the kitchen & just use 401's for everything. The other bowls annoy me! 

 
Two glasses! The Bushwackers I found last week, probably had more in the thrift & this was left behind because of a manufacturing flaw on the rim - a tiny bubble. & a 1977 Darth Vader glass. Fun! 


This 1979 HIS towel, made in El Salvador by Saydah Collection. It looked like someone was going to buy this & through it back. Wonder if they bought HER though? 

I don't usually blog Sunday's, so here's a vintage (1948 Hallmark!) St. Patty's wish for you! Picked up at a flea in Buffalo with a few others that I am hoping to scan when I find the wires. 



Can't wait to see what you've all found this past week! God knows I've been out there (14 thrifts) & this is all I've got to show for it.



     

14 comments:

  1. I go to Goodwill all the time but I've never tried out the auctions. It sounds intense! By the way, I love your snowflake Pyrex! Thanks for hosting the link-up. -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate being disappointed too. I'm too cheap to own Jadite. I've never had a lucky find. The Darth Vader glass is awesome. Thanks for hosting. Hope you have a good week with better luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it amazing how people over pay at auctions. I have had decent luck at normal auction house auctions, when there is so much stuff to bid on. So the crowd tends to thin out after a couple of hours.

    It takes dedication/stupidity (LOL) to sit there for 6+ hours, waiting for what you want to come up. And I have done it. More than once. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol - I'm not sure if I could do it. Not enough patience over here! I've never been to an actual auction, though.

      Delete
  4. I saw those glasses / Jadeite in the auction area, and concluded, once and for all, that Goodwill really won't put anything it considers 'good' on the regular shelves. I see mugs like those ones periodically at flea markets, and they are rarely priced for more than $3-$5 a piece at maximum. Why someone would pay more at auction mystifies me. [Especially since I'd guess most of the folks at that auction, like almost everyone browsing kitchenwares at that store on a regular day, is a picker/dealer online or off.]

    If you found that Butterfly Gold bowl at the Bloor-Sherbourne Goodwill, I think I picked up its matches -- the 402 and 403, also in impeccable condition. Odd that they'd put out a set -- I have an unsubstantiated theory that most matching/good-condition Pyrex goes out the back door to a seller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At that one, not so much, I don't think. I have found some fantastic pieces there, including a coral red snowflake space saver. I have had no luck at any of the other Goodwill's in ways of Pyrex. I think there's just too much competition out there. Did you pass on the 401 or did they just not put them out at the same time?

      Delete
    2. It must have come out on another cart -- I only have time to pass through quickly and rarely make it there when a cart comes out.

      I've occasionally seen (and bought) Pyrex at that Goodwill, and have left plenty on the shelves. For sure there's competition -- but I've also watched staff do things in the back that are strikingly inconsistent with putting the good 'goods' on the shelves. [Again, I'll state my preference for Value Village, where overpricing notwithstanding, more of the good stuff actually makes it to the shelves.]

      Delete
  5. Too bad about the auction, but you found some nice goodies anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't even know Goodwill held auctions! Cool glasses!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know about live auctions with Goodwill! That's pretty cool! I love the "His" towel. Too bad the "Hers" wasn't around!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that 'his' towel is just too cool! and those drinking glasses would have come home with me for sure - i probably would have stored them safely in the christmas stocking box for the boyfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My son would love that Darth Vader glass! Thanks for the link up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never been to an auction, and I think I am better off avoiding them! Your other finds make up for the crapy auction, right? Thank you for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think our Goodwills down here in the states have auctions. Maybe it's a Canadian thing?
    Sweet Pyrex! It's been hard to find here ever since I decided to start collecting it (conversely, now that I have all the Corningware I need, the thrifts have been an absolute sea of cornflowers, lol.)
    Linked up for the first time today! Hope I did it right--I'm still really new at this!

    ReplyDelete